During a pandemic, I've learned to hug myself more
"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." ~ Oscar Wilde
Unattached. I've chosen this life (after exploring travel and romance which were not mutually exclusive and not in any particular order) that I enjoy tremendously for the perks that it brings, such as hatching adventures to unfamiliar places without worrying about who I leave behind, filling up a spacious bed that allows me to move freely during sleep, buying essential items without consulting another person, living independently from my family and relatives in a place that I choose, and engaging my hobbies that truly give joy and excitement in a variety of ways.
Nevertheless, I never thought that this COVID-19 pandemic would suddenly materialize in 2020, and while living under my own steam in Iloilo City, a place that I've learned to appreciate due to my heritage, the idea did not faze me. Besides, this knowledge of my heritage has inspired me to know the place more as well as to interact with fellow Ilonggos who have been kind and accommodating. Interestingly, I've learned about this during my stay here recalling how my cousins and I grew up together and we listened to the stories about the late woman senator and the revolutionaries in Capiz from our elders and older cousins from both the paternal and maternal sides, respectively. This fresh information has made me resolute to stay on and to plan on a quest to confirm this once the pandemic is over. Moreover, as exciting as it has been to discover a family here that I have yet to meet, I have learned a better way to ride the wave of this exhilarating possibility and to survive the seemingly ceaseless quarantines. My heritage, more importantly, requires a separate article once I have the facts.
Undoubtedly, in this article, I'd like to be engrossed about hugging in moments that I feel vulnerable, to hug myself on days that I feel alone, which are scarce but have been poignantly emotional which I thought must be due to some hormonal changes that I know are expectedly inevitable. Whenever they become overwhelming, I find myself writing in my blog to let it out, and to place my hands on my chest to feel my heart as if to embrace it. My heart is such a delicate part that from it stems my love for every person that comes into my life. It is the core that I would always consult whenever I feel doubtful and fearful. Surprisingly enough, the experience of living alone during a pandemic brought out my talent for persisting amid challenges, a situation that I attribute to being heart-centered especially during the most difficult times. Hence, I have unhesitatingly created a hugging list for those who, like me, have been flying solo.
Let's start with the assurance that all is well as long as we avoid reckless behaviors, like neglecting to observe health protocols and habits such as eating junk and remaining inactive. Since we are in the middle of a pandemic, prevention is still the best game plan that we can carry through.
No comments:
Post a Comment