Followers

10 August 2020

#fakefreedoms

 #fakefreedoms

 

so many #fakenews abound these days

it would seem that's just part of the viral bait

but a song by #joeyayala jolts me to reminisce

it pinches my soul as it pushes out a tear or two 

memories seem to be transported from the past 

i'm sure there is something back then,

a love lost or a heartbreak that has never healed, perhaps 

its melody and words haunt me so 

it plays images of my younger self: 

full of hope and passion 

and a vision of freedom for my beloved people

the words #weareheretobefreeandtofreeothers punch my heart

am I free and have I given others the chance to be free?

the song evokes heart-wrenching emotions

as if all the while I've known that there are #norealfreedoms

in a country where the poor had to die for their food

and the rich gorge themselves with so much food that they die

where the poor live in squalid conditions, in the slums

while the rich, in their huge houses, live all alone

my tears have a reason to fall, afterall,

for the freedoms that we all seem to enjoy may be nothing but #illusions

No comments:

Love and Light: A Memoir

 Love and Light: A Memoir on Empowerment and Enlightenment My name means "love and light." I've realized why I had to go throu...